Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Warm Bowl of Love

Life Balance: a feat we try to achieve while searching to be the best that we can we, while simultaneously raising our children to do the same. This is the equilibrium in our inner life force whereby our heartbeat matches the divine force that exists all around us. When this life balance peaks, our sense of peace, joy, love and wisdom act as one with our very soul.

"Somethings just don't come in a box."--Me

January in Buffalo. Hmm, it just needs something good to eat. Searched the fridge, empty, of course, since I shopped more than 2 days ago. Looked in the pantry for hidden chocolate. Nope. I know, maybe chocolate chips. Scratch that, cupcake ate them all. I know, butterscotch chips. Zippo. Searched the freezer for leftover Christmas cookies. Wrong. Hidden cookie dough wrapped up in a meat bag. Zilch. Candy hidden in my closet. Eaten, empty box left in it's wake. Chips up on the high shelf in the laundry room, behind the honey and cutout tin. Nothing but dust. Checked my drawer in night stand, just the empty cracker box. Crud.

Crap, I actually might have to get out of my pink polka dot jammies and go to the store. Wait. I have corn starch. Sugar. Cocoa powder and soy milk. I've got it.

Warm pudding. Yum. Wow. Delicious. Shades of "When Harry Met Sally" joy burst out of my mouth as I picture the succulent pudding hitting my tongue, sliding down my throat and heating up my belly from the inside. I get excited thinking about licking the spoon. My eyes moisten and my taste buds start drooling. I get a grin from ear to ear, so big, you'd think I won the lottery. Real joy, real laughter and excitement as I get the stuff out. Truly an event, and I haven't made it in years. Almost as good as raw chocolate chip cookies dough, cinnamon buns straight from the oven or tomato soup and grill cheese lunch. Just the tasty snack I need.

I scald. I measure. I stir, I cook. I can't wait to see my kids faces when they experience it for the first time. They don't get it. I'm making pudding on the stove. No box, real ingredients from scratch.Not with a mixer. Not placing it in the freezer to thicken quickly. But cooking it. And licking the spoon quite often. I am running out of clean spoons to use.

I pour and divide. I lick the pan. I take my bowl and dive in. They come and get theirs. I wait. And wait. Expecting excitement. Anticipating the smiles. Thinking of the thrill. And then it comes.

"What's wrong with instant?"--muffin boy.

Ouch. Never mind, it's just a generational thing I guess.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Cute!
Another one that brings smiles.