Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas Vacation

Life Balance: a feat we try to achieve while searching to be the best that we can we, while simultaneously raising our children to do the same. This is the equilibrium in our inner life force whereby our heartbeat matches the divine force that exists all around us. When this life balance peaks, our sense of peace, joy, love and wisdom act as one with our very soul.

Laying in bed until 9. Staying up late. Eating Christmas cookies, especially Lemon meltaways for breakfast. Shopping and lunching with girlfriends. Reading 3 books, starting 2 more. Ah the joys of Christmas vacation....okay, that all did happen. But was that it?

Mrs. Virginia and I were reading a mutual friends Christmas letter on the phone. I don't like the letters. mostly because it means whoever sent you one, has no intention of ever calling you. And I like phone calls. I like interaction. And I usually hate the letters. Especially ones that tell you they have a better life than yours. But does anyone tell you the day to day reality of their life? What was my vacation really like this past week?

Getting up because the dog was barking. Stumbling out of bed one morning because the boss called and I had to go into work. Getting up to listen to the latest renditions of Guitar Hero 3. Getting up to find the kitchen was totalled with boxes of cereal, hot cocoa wrappers, half full cans of pop, cheese wrappers and boxes of macaroni and cheese, and listening to my kids, as I am viewing this mess and they are munching on potato chips at 9 A.M., tell there is nothing to eat.

After 2 hours of daily de-gunking the house, I started on the mounds of laundry each day. Then I proceeded to drive the little cherubs to one friend and then another. And then I shopped again for something or returned yet another item. And waited in traffic. And waited. And I got home to pick up junk from which ever kid was home while I drove around. Then I cooked. And I ate more cookies. Then I picked them up and we started the routine all over again. Twins arguing over guitar hero. Wild Child with 3 friends on the computer. Dog barking wildly. Food everywhere. Dirty laundry pilling up. FUN!

Today started with cuddle time. I was laying in bed until 9, me the woman who is up at 5 most days. I was reading and sipping coffee. And then cupcake came down and joined me and the mutt in the covers. And I flipped over, pulled the covers up and said I didn't want to get up today. And cupcake pulled the covers back, and placed her face right in front of mine. I still laid there, with my eyes closed saying, NO, NO, NO, I WILL NOT GET UP. And then I opened my eyes and burst out laughing. There cupcake was, with her face pressed one inch from mine, doing this huge cheeky smile. You just can not help but burst out laughing.

And then the song, "Stinky breath, Stinky breath, Mama's got Stinky Breath. "

Your breath is worse. Is not. Is too. Is not. Is too. Is not, followed by a blanket tackle and a tickle.

Now that's the reality I prefer to remember and smile about.


No comments: