Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Sponge Worthy?

Life Balance: a feat we try to achieve while searching to be the best that we can we, while simultaneously raising our children to do the same. This is the equilibrium in our inner life force whereby our heartbeat matches the divine force that exists all around us. When this life balance peaks, our sense of peace, joy, love and wisdom act as one with our very souls.


“I seldom find anything to be happy about “—real life Maxine in a candid moment


What really makes us happy? Do we just wake up and happiness finds us? Are we happy because it’s a sunny day? Because we had peace while we got ready in the morning? Are we happy because the traffic lights were all green on the way to work or because we got a free cup of coffee at the Tim Horton’s drive thru? Are we only truly when the world seems all right for today?

Or is happiness a choice?

We all seem to know people who never seem to smile, who can’t seem to laugh at the absurdities of life or who just have one bad thing after another happen to them. Just how many happy days do we have while fighting with our spouses or feeling ignored by them? Would you really smile with so much tragedy going on around you? Or would you say to yourself, how can you NOT be happy, because there is nothing else to grab for?

I believe happiness is a choice you make. It’s a thought process you have about the way life really works. It’s a glass of half fun or half boring kind of outlook. I know that all of us make this choice on how to look at the world day in and day out.

But we also are profoundly impacted by the reality of life that surrounds us. Again, it’s how we react. I am a sponge. Many people are. Other people are the faucets, spilling out the water for the sponges. The water can be cool, uplifting and enjoyable, or it can be a hotbed of smoldering coals waiting to burn you wherever they land.

Sponges are living, breathing things. Sometimes they just need to remember to move and find the delicious crisp water again, to look for it and find it, day in and day out. Today, I was surprised by some unexpected compliments. I was leaning into the flames of the darkness and was pulled out into the cascading joy of the ocean. First up were just a series of nice compliments all day long about how nice I looked, from people at the health club cheering me on for finally losing 35 pounds and running 4 miles on the elliptical machine, to a co-worker teasing me that my dear hubby (DH) must really like the outfit I was wearing. I thought I was going to have to pour water on him he was so complimentary. Or maybe he was just drunk.

Another series of compliments has come from my dear friends who have all read my blog, supporting me and cheering me on. Mr. Clancy told me tonight my writing was really good, and that if I could channel my energy, would really become the seductive writing millions of people would run and out and buy. Wow, now that’s a fantasy I can dig into Mr. Clancy.
Would you care to watch as I do my channeling?

I think it’s my turn to be a faucet and pour out the water like a rainstorm of joy for others. That’s really the point of this blog. To tell everyone, go after your dreams, keep on fantasizing and find your joy. Do It Everyday. Thanks for reminding me Mr. Clancy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, just smiling repeatedly when the day(s) are long and times are difficult helps. it's all a mind game. before you know it the smile becomes real and you smiled yourself into feeling better. been there :-)
my dear friend it's all about finding yourself again and you are well on your way. kudos!!!!!