Sunday, September 9, 2007

I Never Get ANYTHING!!!!

Life Balance: a feat we try to achieve while searching to be the best that we can we, while simultaneously raising our children to do the same. This is the equilibrium in our inner life force whereby our heartbeat matches the divine force that exists all around us. When this life balance peaks, our sense of peace, joy, love and wisdom act as one with our very souls.

WE STRIVE TO HAVE WHAT WE WANT, WHEN WE SHOULD JUST WANT WHAT WE HAVE---UNKNOWN SONG LYRIC

“I am not a Mom, so much as wheels with an ATM Card”---Nature Mom


Happiness often comes from a feeling of contentment. We finish a big project, buy the furniture we oglooed for years, take the big trip, get a promotion; all things we pictured in our minds and finally received. All seems right in the universe. We dreamed and we succeeded what more could we want?

Lots of things. It’s human nature to want more things, a better cave, more sun, a third drumstick from the brontosaurus, it’s never ending. Still, we can’t make the sun shine for us, so we make do and find happiness in other ways. Turn the lights on, buy a new sweater, and create a drumstick from tofu. We get by. We go on. We make do.

Unless of course you are the species know as teenagers.

Life is continually out of balance when you are a teenager. It’s not the hormones that do us Moms in, it’s the constant “I want, I need, I must have, Can I buy, Will you pick up, Did you get me, Where’s My ____, That’s mine, I never get anything, I always look stupid and you always buy it for____ (fill in name of other sibling).” They genetically don’t know how to make do, get by, or love what they have. They search for newer, bigger, faster, more expensive and more obnoxious in every nook and cranny we call homes. You get in heated arguments and end up taking everything away and sending them to their room, the ultimate punishment. Just last week they demanded bottled water, now that’s so over, they need VITAMIN WATER. Granola bars became ENERGY Bars. Yogurt graduated to GOGURT in tubes. American cheese slimmed down to CHEESE STIX. Gatorade became RED BULL. Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches morphed to LUNCHABLES. Bubble gum turned to STRIVE. Deodorant is now AXE Body Spray. Bath Soap is BODY WASH from the Mall. My sons ask for Hair streaks and my daughter wants boxers.

My eldest Wild Child turned 14 the other day and my Dad called. “14,” he said. “Good Luck. You wanted EVERYTHING at that age. You were so rotten.”

Who Me?? I just want to be sent to my room for 3 hours without a phone, TV or outside communication with the world. Now that’s contentment.

No comments: